Find a class that suits
It's easy. Search for classes by media, instructor, time, day, or ability.
See our upcoming classes!
Demo & Dialogue Series
Get to know our faculty artists and gain insight into their success.
KidART Summer Camp
Registration is now open!
Summer Art Market 2013
10 am-7 pm Sat, June 8 &10 am-5 pm Sun, June 9.
Modern Man and the Landscape Exhibition
Join us for 3rd Friday Artist Reception on May 17 from 5:30-9 pm.
The Art Students League of Denver first opened its doors in 1987.
Modeled on the famous Art Students League of New York, The Art Students League of Denver first opened its doors in 1987 with a handful of recognized artists teaching over one hundred students within its first year. Today, located in the historic Sherman School in the West Washington Park area at 200 Grant Street, the League engages over 800 students a month with over 100 noted artists who teach diverse fine arts classes throughout the year. A membership-based 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization, the League is supported by private donations, tuition, foundation grants, and the Scientific & Cultural Facilities District.
Built in 1893, the Sherman School is a prominent landmark that represents the grandeur and pride that was once part of the public school image. Rising above the surrounding residential neighborhood, the main Richardson Romanesque structure features a sandstone base and arched portico entries that welcome students today as they have for 110 years. The building was designed by architect Henry Dozier, and is one of only a few of his structures that are still in existence.
The AnnexThe Annex building on the North side of the main building was built in 1920 and is typical of the "bungalow school." It was designed with a decidedly homey character to accommodate kindergarten children, featuring fireplaces in its two rooms that today are spacious sculpture studios.
The Artful Gardens
Once covered in blacktop and surrounded by a rusted chain link fence, the surrounding gardens were landscaped in 2001 and have since been lovingly designed, planted and maintained through the hard work and green thumbs of a team of garden volunteers. The gardens include many native Rocky Mountain Region perennials. Funding was generated through private donations and foundation contributions.